Thursday, December 04, 2008

Fantasy and Reality

I can't help it. I try, really try, but I can't help it.

I still fantasize about having or adopting a baby.

I know having a child is impossible. You need the plumbing for that and mine is gone. Don't get me wrong, I soooo love the fact that I can walk by the "feminine products" aisle and smirk, not to mention saving $5-$10 a month on various plugs and padding. That part I wouldn't trade for anything.

Despite the positives, I still long for a child. I still feel like a part of me, a part of my life, is incomplete. I've tried to put it away, thought I'd dealt with it, but something or someone keeps kicking me back into hoping.

Currently I'm dealing with a client whose 14 year old daughter is 34 weeks pregnant. Yup, 14 and absolutely, completely, unequivocally unprepared for it. She's not even a mature 14. Everyone, including mom (my client), grandma, various family members and her doctor tried to convince her to have an abortion or at the very least, choose adoption. She's got the immature pie-in-the-sky, unrealistic attitude about this. When she was told she would have to go back to school after 6 weeks, she was surprised, thinking that having a baby meant you could stay home and never go back to school. I go and interpret for mom during her prenatal visits, try to be as neutral as possible while also knowing she needs the little things explained (thought having an epidural meant the catheter went completely up your entire spine and out the skin on your shoulder). I can't help it, but I also desperately want her to look at me and say "please raise my baby". Pure fantasy. Can't help it.

Tuesday night there was a retirement dinner for our president and CEO. The VP's wife is good friends with one of the women from our department and when a VIP showed unexpectedly, she gladly ditched the stuffed shirts and joined us. Sitting around the table and chatting...she runs an adoption agency. Fuck. Can't escape. It took everything I had not to beg her for a baby or start asking desperate questions.

So again I brought up the idea with D about adopting. Even an older child. She recently had a scare with her blood pressure...she's supposed to have been on meds for a few years but tends to not take them. Finally scared the shit out of her enough to pay attention. Well, she now doesn't want to bring a child into our lives for fear of dying and even further messing up the kid. Oh come on! It's just one more excuse. She gets very creative with them.

I tried to explain to her in terms she'd understand...I said it would be like trying to be straight. If I had to, I could probably manage it but I would be miserable and know that something wasn't right. That I was missing something vital to my being. That no amount of therapy, faking it, doing whatever could fix the wrong/missing thing. It's simply too inherent, too close to the core to simply go away. She understands but still doesn't want to bring a child into a family where she might die soon (she won't, just her fears).

So where does that leave me besides fucked? A year ago I maybe could have gone behind her back and tried to get knocked up. Didn't, but the option was theoretically there. I can't adopt secretly, just not possible. I guess I have to either dream this 14 year old kid miraculously wants me to raise her baby (look what I brought home, honey) or D comes to her senses and realizes that having a child will be good for us.

Ultimately I expect that I'm going to have to accept the fact that I will never have a child. Ever. That I will always be missing that part of me that can never be filled or replaced. How the hell does anyone get past it? If anyone knows, please tell me.

2 comments:

mariedavis said...

Have you thought about fostering a kid? I am a foster parent -- and I get all those feelings fulfilled -- plus I am helping pepople who really need it. Just an idea...

Anonymous said...

That is such a hard place to be in. My wife and I had been together for 5 years when the issue of kids came up. I wanted a child desperately and she was not interested in the slightest. I really believe children are one of those LIFE choices. I told her I loved her, but that I wasn't willing to forgo children. I took us a few months to resolve the issue. It came down to children were a 10 for me and not having childen was a 5 for her. We were able to work things out and aopted a beautiful baby boy. I look at her now and she is the most incredible parent I've ever seen. She even brought up us having a second..... Good luck.
~Laura