Tuesday, March 06, 2007

and the asshole surfaces

After weeks of no contact and then third party contact telling us to go fuck ourselves, The SIL from hell shows up here at our house.

I'm getting ready to feed the dogs and there's a pounding on the front door. I knew Deb was going shopping so I figured she had her hands full of groceries and couldn't reach the bell. I didn't think twice and opened the door.

In walks stupid, asking what's going on, when she's going to get money and what's happening with storage. Fucking bitch. I should have thrown her out.

Without yelling, which could have turned violent - she's pretty fucked up and volatile - I told her we were pretty pissed that she didn't do a damn thing to help during the entire process, that she told us to go fuck ourselves (didn't deny it), and that her attitude, behavior and zero effort made everything that much harder. I also told her that Art, the guy we hired to do most of the cleaning, will probably charge her for packing and moving her shit, that we packed piss-soaked clothes because we were told by her to "pack everything". I told her that several pieces of furniture that she expected were in the dumpster because they either fell apart when they were moved or were so soaked with rat/mouse/cat piss that there was no way we were putting them in storage. I was pretty damn civil for what I should have said. For her part, she stood there and listened.

I also told her that she looks like shit, is angry and nasty and the only reason she's living in a cleaner environment is because she was forced to move, that if she wasn't forced, she'd still be living in squallor and filth and it's not normal. I told her about the women's center having free counseling and of a friend who offered the same free help. What she does with that information is up to her, but at least I put it out there. I want her to get the help, but I'm sure as hell not going to hold her hand for it. Christ, it's everything I can do not to tell her to go fuck herself and that she's made our lives a living hell.

I was good. I did my mitzvah for the day. Now can I go get a drink?

No comments: