Monday, February 26, 2007

Mini-Intervention

I want your honest opinions about this, both the idea of it and what I plan to say.

At some point in the next week or so, probably after the closing when there's less chance for her to fuck it up, I want to approach my SIL and essentially have a mini-intervention. It doesn't have to include Debbie. In fact, it's probably better if it doesn't. SIL is more likely to hear me if she's not also stressing with Deb. You might think they're like oil and water...they're more like kerosene and a match.

Ok, so here's what I plan to say:

B, I know you might not want to listen to me, I'm sure you don't, but I have to say something to you. Before you say anything, please hear me out. Let me say all of it before you respond.

I've been a part of this family for 18 years. I am really honored and blessed to have been accepted by your parents and you as a member of the family. I'm sure it wasn't easy.

I know you've got to be absolutely terrified right now. I can't imagine being in your shoes. The last few years and especially few months have been extremely hard on everyone and I've been worried about you for a while. I've watched you become more and more depressed, withdrawn and angry. The house was never that clean or organized, but at least it was liveable. There was always running water, heat, and looked like a house. We had no idea it had become so bad. If we did, we would have intervened/helped, something, a long time ago. You have to admit, you were living in dangerous, unhealthy, horrible conditions. I really think you need professional help. I think your depression has gotten way out of control. I really wish you would go for help. I know you don't have insurance and money is really tight, but the women's center in Danbury is a really good start. I think they can even see you for a limited time for free. At least it's a start. I'm not telling you what to do, it's your life, but I just hope you'll get the help and support you need. I don't have much family left.

Then hand her a card with the phone number.

So...what do you all think? Keep in mind she's extremely sick right now, not thinking clearly, and definitely NOT the sharpest tool in the shed.

1 comment:

Estelle said...

Okay, I got this email and had NO CLUE what it was about. Now I have backstory... good.

She's a hoarder. It's a real mental illness, actually. And more common than is realized. Am I an expert? Well of course, I read a book on it!

I think your intervention sounds good. She DOES need help. She's a danger to herself and others, and it's obvious that she is mentally ill or she wouldn't live like that.

And you know I so want pictures. I almost wish we were up there so we could help. Almost.