Friday, March 16, 2007

180

~~ Sung to the tune of "Food, glorious food" from Oliver ~~

Snow, slippery snow
Ice, what are you good for?

Well I finally broke down and bought 4 new tires today. I've needed them for a couple of months, but the winter has been so mild it hasn't been an issue. Ok, so I've done more than my share of slipping and sliding during the 2 or 3 snow and ice events we've had, but it really hasn't been bad. A curb here, a snow bank there. My trusty Subaru outback has been wonderful, despite my obvious negligence.

Until today.

I was heading to work and took my eyes off the road for a split second (doesn't everyone say that?), and I started skidding. Big time. Thankfully the roads were pretty empty, because I slid into a couple of 90 degree turns - first right, then left, then right again - and then I spun around 180 degrees and ended up facing the opposite direction. Thankfully and oddly enough, I was really calm the whole time. When the car stopped, I very calmly drove to where I could safely turn back around and simply kept going. No fear, just focused on getting to work. I know, I'm nuts. Most logical people would have called the office and told them they weren't going. Nope, not me.

Also right then and there I decided to pay attention to the obvious message: STOP BEING SO FUCKING CHEAP AND GET NEW TIRES!

So when my client didn't show, not surprising, I called Town Fair Tire and was there as soon as possible. $632 and an hour later, I had 4 brand new tires, a full front and rear alignment, and a much safer car to drive. Understandably, I was a bit skittish driving home, but the car was fantastic. Amazing what happens when you're not a cheap asshole.

For the record and all those who will say I spun because I hit the brakes, didn't steer into the skid, etc - my foot was off the brake the entire time, I steered into the skid and at one point I even let go of the steering wheel and let the car do it's thing. No, that's not when I spun out. It actually stopped the skid. That or the inertia of the car.

Either way, I'm $632 poorer, but definitely wiser and safer.

1 comment:

Estelle said...

Glad you're okay and decided not to be a cheap asshole!
I miss snow. But I certainly don't miss driving in it.